Edith-Stein-Schule was founded in 1854 as a „Catholic High School for Girls“. From 1870 the school was run by the „English Ladies.’* It is situated in the Bessungen area in the parish of Liebfrauen.
Closure and Reopening
In 1938 the school was closed by the Nazis like all religious schools in Germany.
But after the Second World War it was reopened on the initiative of Phillip Waldhelm. He was pastor in the parish of „Liebfrauen“. At that time the school was run by the Ursulinen“*,so it was called „Ursulinenschule“.
The School today
Since 1960 the grammar school has been called „Edith-Stein-Schule“. Since 1978 it has been sponsored by the „Stiftung Edith-Stein-Schule Darmstadt‘ and since 1986 boys can also go there.
Edith-Stein-Schule is a state approved Catholic Highschool/ Secondary School of the Diocese of Mainz.
Today there are lots of activities for the pupils, e.g. a large range of languages, choirs, bands and sports. In 2010 the school celebrated its 50th anniversary as Edith-Stein-Schule. Cardinal Lehmann visited the school on this occasion.
*The „English Ladies“ and the „Ursulinen“ are a religious order of nuns. The English Ladies‘ mission is for the promotion of girls‘ education. The Ursulinen order is the most popular order for the promotion of girls‘ education.